Sunday 1 September 2013

Paraa Safari Lodge, Part II: Paradise in the Wild

Paraa Safari Lodge is located within the vicinity of Murchison Falls National Park. Against the backdrop of untainted African wild, the beasts roam free, confident of their place in the savanna grasslands that strech as far as the eye can see.
My first sighting was a Jackson's Hartebeest, a deer-like animal with a strange head that eerily resembles a grasshopper's
Our guide informed us that the hartebeest is known for it's forgetfulness (Much like a grasshopper) It could spy a lion stalking it and then forgets all about it a few seconds later. Next time it remembers is when lion teeth have gone for the jugular and by then it's too late.







The waterbuck is another deer-like animal we saw. The ones I saw were hornless and furry and frankly looked delish! Our guide told me to save my breathe. and saliva. The waterbuck he said when panicked does something to its flesh. The meat is totally unappealing, I heard and for that reason, they tend not to be targeted by predators.

Corne Schalkwyk of Marasa Africa that runs Paraa Safari Lodge described the unique species of giraffe at Murchison Falls National Park as 'White Socks'. The Rothchild's Giraffe's spots unlike other giraffes' stop at the knees and below is pure white. Watching them is an experience that words can't fully describe. They are graceful but awkward, tall but down-to-earth,  Spotted but hard to find, endangered but here for now. I fell in love with these gentle beauties and their heavily lashed eyes as they fed on tall acacia trees. My mind screamed ENCORE.

Being my first time to see a live Hippopotamus, the first thing that came to mind was, "Hungry Hungry Hippo!" I half-expected them to get in line and sing me that beloved nursery rhyme. They grunt like bad-tempered old men and blow out  air like whales. I was told by my guide that their sweat and milk is pink which is a weird thing. I loved to watch them in the shallow banks of the Nile river going about their domestic affairs without a fuss. I was a bit terrified though- their reputation of capsizing boats precedes them. As Paraa and Chobe Safari Lodges are built quite close to the Nile, the Hippos were easy to spot and added to the magical aura of the place. I loved watching them.
During our boat-ride, I saw these spectacular erosion-made river banks that are an attraction in itself. Considering the current water level of the Nile, what kept nagging me at the back of my mind was: Was the Nile at one time that deep? Wow! A keen eye would notice tiny holes at some point: These are bird nests if I can call them that. I was in la-la land at this point.



Along these banks, my guide informed us that the legendary American author, Ernest Hemingway crashed his plane not once but twice and lived to talk about it. That was one bit of history I had no idea about, wikipedia simply says it happened somewhere in Africa. Now I knew that it happened at Murchison Falls National Park in Uganda.



I saw lots of other animals but not being a seasoned tourist, I only had my cellphone with which I took the pictures I had. The beauty of this place still oozes through and I have to say, I feel more in touch with my roots and can't wait for another opportunity to present itself. I felt I belonged for once in my life. It was a life-changing experience. My journey didn't end there though. More to come...

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.....this is so cool....i luv the descript. for giraffes n' hartebeests...

    ReplyDelete