Sunday 18 August 2013

CACE: gifts that keep on giving



I recently had an opportunity to further my writing career. CACE (pronounced Cha-Chay) which is the acronym for the Center for African Cultural Excellence in conjunction with the US Embassy Kampala sponsored a select 10 fledgling writers for a fully paid 1 week intensive freelance writing course and 5 weeks arduous fieldwork to utilise the skills learned.  I had to pinch myself every 2 minutes until I drew blood to remind myself that I wasn’t actually dreaming and that this was really happening. I was in 7th Heaven. Believe it!
The varied highly accomplished Course Staff and Guest Speakers included Brian Bwesigye, Frida Nabifo, Esther Namugoji, Lydia Namubiru,Kanyango Caroline, Solomon Kayiwa,  Elise Crane, Beatrice Lamwaka, Harriet Anena and Corne Schalkwyk among others tasked with the herculean task of making men and women of us, the 10 doe-eyed virgins with baby teeth.  The goal was to give us the tools that we would need to sink our teeth in the Freelance Writing Arena and never let go.
At the end of the 6 weeks, I was published in New Vision, the largest media house in Uganda, I had used social media skills I had learned to promote Marasa Africa for which I won a 3 days trip alongside professional journalists to Murchison Falls National Park. Marasa Africa was showcasing Paraa and Chobe Safari Lodges which I found exquisite to say the least. The nature came alive, teeming with wildlife and I was torn when time came to return to Kampala.  These 6 weeks have been a turning point in my life and I will always be grateful for those great souls who made it happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment